OCTOBER INCHIE A-Thon Official Thread
SO HAPPY YOU CAME TO PLAY!
(in your time zone) 12:01 am (midnight) on Thursday Morning (But it really feels like Wednesday Night at Midnight…same thing.) October 13, 2011, and end time
(in your time zone) 11:59 pm (midnight) Sunday October 16th , 2011
Your Host for this weekend is RobbyGirl
This weekend we will create:
1) INCHIES 1"X1” Mail Art. In any medium: collaging, sewing, painting, drawing, digital altering, photographs, metal work, beading, sculpting, using postage stamps, creating Found Poetry... you name but all in a 1” space!
2) Post your Awesome Creations here in the thread and to the A-Thon Gallery to share with the group.
3) Trade art –if you want to or just share your creations in a post. (just a general fyi, Typically they are traded in groups of 4 or 6 but you can trade inchies anyway that you agree upon with the other party.
4) Chat (if you can only stop in to admire the art and chat sometimes, that’s absolutely okay!)
5) Have awesome, ridiculous amounts of FUN!
OPTIONAL CHALLENGES/THEMES FOR THE WEEKEND:
y – Halloween and Fall Themed Inchies
- Inchies with Text
– Inchie Books/Microbooks (**** how to below) and Circus Inchies
– People Inchies and Bird Inchies
****Inchie/Microbooks How Too:
1. Create 3 sturdy inchies.
2. Do both Sides!
3. Punch 2 small holes (Left side or top) with a crop o dile or a strong punching needle.
4. Bind inchies with jewelry jump rings. Be sure to close them completely!
5. You won't have room to write on or label your inchies so place them in an atc sleeve that has your artist identification information. I have seen some very creative people create tiny, tiny book marks with their info and attach them. Be creative have fun!
Remember this weekend is open to EVERYONE
. You do not have to sign up.
Challenges and themes are ENTIRELY optional. Create whatever is speaking to you today.
What is an Inchie (Please be careful with your sizing if you don't have a 1" square Punch)
Inchies are collectible 1 x 1 inches of art in any media from traditional to altered art collage to fabric to polymer clay and so on.
Just a quick note. Typically inchies are traded in groups of 4 or 6 but you are free to make agreed upon trades for any number of inchies as long as both parties are happy. Also after you trade your inchies they should be moved from the A thon gallery to Traded Mail Art (So only available A thon cards are in the a thon gallery.)
Here's the "fine print"
What IS an ART-A-THON?
It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art weekend, done over the same day and time in each time zone.
It’s kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.
HOW IT WORKS:
start creating art at the designated time, then upload your lovely creations to your gallery and post to the thread. Continue throughout the weekend. Trading and chatting ensues. At 11:59 on Sunday June 5 (your time zone) you’re done creating art… however you may continue to chat and trade as long as you like.
HOW TO ASK FOR A TRADE:
When you find a piece of art or goody bag you must have, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (pm) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing.
If you do make a trade, please be sure to send to your trade partner within two weeks. If you’re running late, communicate!
WANT TO COMPLIMENT AN ARTIST:
And you will… remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there.
HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:
From your atcsforall.com gallery:
It’s easiest to have two windows open. I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.
1 Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu has “properties” at the bottom.
2) Right click on “properties”, and it will show you Address (URL). Highlight the address/url and copy (Ctrl C).
Then follow steps 3 - 5
Note: Your picture will come up as large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.
Mozella Firefox and Mac Safari (most versions)
1) Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location” (which is about 2/3 down the list for me)
2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
Then follow steps 3 - 5
3) Go to your post in the thread and click on the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl P) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
5) Remember that images from the gallery are small, medium or large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread. Find the word small, medium or large (or letters s m l) in the address and change it to size you want.
(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)
From your computer:
1. Click POST REPLY at the bottom of the messages screen. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. Then upload as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.
2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, click GO ADVANCED and you will get the paperclip above the message box.
From a flickr or photobucket account:
NEW TO A-THONS?
If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm your host, or post your questions to the thread. We have a lot of experienced art-a-thoners who are more than willing to help those of you new to this craziness.