BACKGROUNDS - Bokeh style Due date: June 17

Donnacr

ATC Guru
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date - June 17
postage for non-Australians: May 20
I live in Australia - mail will NOT reach me quickly! I suggest you allow at least 4 weeks.
Number of Cards - 3:3 or 6:6
Number of participants - unlimited
Media - any and all but needs to make the required technique - 1 card using WARM colours, 1 card using COLD colours, 1 using colours of your choice.

I have been playing in a lot of Athons lately and everyone is always preparing backgrounds. I thought that I would run a series of swaps just for backgrounds made using different techniques - the first will be 'BOKEH'.

Bokeh is a technique originally developed by photographers to add 'blurs of confusion' in the background. I love using my Distress Oxides but similar effects are possible using watercolours (paints or pencils) - google "Bokeh effect in watercolour" and you will be given many examples.

METHOD 1 - adding white circles on top of colours
I have had a lot of fun playing with my Distress Oxide inks and white pigment ink, brushed through punched circles of various sizes. I blend 3 colours over my card, dry the inks well then brush the white pigment ink and 'Lost shadows' Oxide ink through various sized circles.
I brushed my warm colours on 3.5" x7.5" card, added the white and grey circles, then cut down to pieces like this Scan2024-02-20_130417.jpg or IMG_3826.jpg my cool colours or my combination Scan2024-02-20_130935.jpg

Some background combinations make the 'flash' circles more obvious than others - the whiter circles on my cool card have extra layers of ink on them so it is up to you as to how obvious you make them.

METHOD 2 - removing colour
I know that Distress Oxides react with water so that is what I did to my cards - I am unsure what you would use if using watercolours.
I blended my background as with the cards above but then I removed colour by:
IMG_3828.jpgusing a baby wipe through a circle stencil OR
IMG_3827.jpgsplashing the card with water and mopping it off with a paper towel (needs a LOT of splashing before it starts to look like bokeh). I have just discovered that this is easier if I spray water through a stencil then blot through the stencil.

Post to the thread to sign up or you can't get fun Rep points.

PM me for my address when you are ready to mail - if you have an address in Robina, I am still there. I am an on time Host so please take note of suggested mail time at the top of the thread.

Postage:
Australian players: please include a $1.50 stamp
International players: unfortunately Australian International postage is still going up so I must ask for a well hidden US$2 OR a Global Forever stamp

ALL players please include a LARGE address label (AT LEAST 2" x2"), I will supply envelopes.

I will give iTrader feedback when I receive your cards and will also update this post showing that your cards have been received. In return I encourage you to give iTrader Host feedback to me when you receive your swap returns, and Rep points to the artist whose cards you receive. After all, knowing where your cards went is half the fun, I think.

PLAYERS:

0. donnacr - received
1. jazivy
2. Tillygo
3. Betsyg
4. RaineyDay

5. ArtSean329 - received
6. Luk
7. leydab
8. TheFFG
9. BlancoLobo
10. The Walnut Tree

Last edited:
lurking.... I have to finish my May Prompt cards and at least begin the birdhouse moos.

welcome to jazivy, Tillygo and Betsyg.
jazivy - what medium do you use for your bokeh?

NancyL - I have to finish my May prompt cards before leaving for 3 weeks holiday on Monday so I know how you feel. I hope that we both complete our cards and that you come back to join us.
CynthiaSillitoe - it really is a lot of fun! Trying different colour combinations and methods of making the 'blur' means 6:6 will be no problem.

Don't forget that these are JUST the background technique - no focal point needed. You also make cards: 1 WARM colours, 1 COOL colours and 1 with colours of your choice.

jazivy - what medium do you use for your bokeh?

Don't forget that these are JUST the background technique - no focal point needed. You also make cards: 1 WARM colours, 1 COOL colours and 1 with colours of your choice.
I use your Method 1, a distress oxide base with white pigment ink applied through circle stencils.

I think I'm misunderstanding the instructions. Are you saying we are exchanging unfinished ATCs? Or is the challenge to create completed artworks with only the circles? There can be nothing else in the images?

I love the idea of background swaps. I just need to get a chance to google and then try it.

I really don’t have any distress oxide experience, though I’ve got a lot of watercolors. Also acrylics if those work.

The next couple of weeks are hectic, but then maybe I can get time to try it.

CynthiaSillitoe - quite a few of the sites that I Googled use watercolours and give a few options for you to try.
As mentioned in the intro to the thread - "similar effects are possible using watercolours (paints or pencils) - google "Bokeh effect in watercolour" and you will be given many examples."

Back
Top Bottom