Addicted to ATCs
Media
Swap Due Date: June 7, 2024
Signup/Withdraw Date: June 7, 2024
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

Fruits&Flowers, plus Scandalous Secrets of Herbs&Vegetables, Due: June 7, 2024
….Also their Magical, Mystical, and Fantasy properties, plus Lore, Legends, and odd facts

This swap is about real plants with interesting properties, other than eating them;
or oddly named real plants, such as the Frost Explosion Plant or Elephant Ears or the Egyptian Walking Onions; that one might think do not exist, BUT DO.

Are you aware that you can make an energizing, body replenishment, tea out of your cat’s catnip leaves, that is better, and cheaper, than the “Gatorade” you have been purchasing?

Did you know there is a scandal in the garden that reveals tomatoes LOVE carrots? And had you heard that tomatoes HATE broccoli with more furor than the families of Romeo and Juliet?

And, you must have heard that, once upon a time, Apple pies were called “Coffins”, because in the early days, the pie crust was made with flour and water only, and tasted much like decomposing wood which might have been pulled from an old coffin.
Later, as people learned to cook, rather than eating only to survive, butter and sugar were added to the flour and water in the pie crust, much improving the taste, and Apple Pies become as "American as Apple Pies".

The entire first week of May is "National Herb Week" and most grocery story startpromoting fruit and vegetable sales and recipes. Hide the salt shaker and experiment with fresh or dry herbs as sesoning. Enjoy their flavors and aromas, and even their flowers.
Herbs are healthy, tasty, and can be grown in an empty coffee can on the window sill.

Create ATCs depicting real plants, herbs, flowers, fruits, or vegetables that actually exist. Feature less known greens or flowers to depict or reveal the strange, magical, or mystical, plus lore, legends and oddities about your plants, the more obscure or little known the details, the better.
Since your submissions may include less well known plants or flowers, please write the name of the plant or flower on the front or the back of the ATC, and if you want, please include some documentary details, or legend or lore, about the plant or flower.

You can be whimsical (A butterfly bush growing butterfly buds and real butterflies) or realistic (A butterfly bush, also known as the Buddleia).
Or a humorous barking DOG wood tree ("dog") or real dogwood flowers.
Or crazy bachelor BUTTONS growing on a button plant, or real bachelor button flowers.

* This is a 3 for 3 or a 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 ATCs cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! Please send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link. http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped (Business Size) Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with one "Forever" stamp or current First Class Postage if trading 3 cards; or one "Forever" and one additional ounce postage stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps/money, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by June 7, 2024. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns, and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please contact me (have a conversation with me) for my address when you sign up or when you are ready to mail.

* Above all, Have fun!

Current Participants

1, Allegrae -- Cards Received
2. Laffqueen -- Cards Received
3. LuK -- Cards Received
4. Tylligo -- Cards Received
5. TheFFG -- Cards Received
6. leyda -- Cards Received
7. mybrokenart -- Cards Received
8. pixxi88 -- Cards Received
9. Boots -- Cards Received
10. Townie -- Cards Received
11. TaraMorin
12. Vicki Z -- Cards Received

Last edited:
You might also like to depict the scandalous secrets, lore, legend, and odd facts concerning some of the SIX (6) Poisonous Plants we eat all the time.

Actually, parts of the plants you probably eat and enjoy often, are perfectly edible.
However, other parts of the same plantsyou consume are DEADLY.

Apples, Cherries, and Apricots
The seeds of all of these fruits are not considered edible. They all contain a substance called amygdalin which turns to cyanide when it comes into contact with acids in the human digestive system. Swallowing a seed is no big deal. Your body will pass them out. However, NEVER pulverize and consume.

Rhubarb
The fruit of the plant is safe and wonderful in pies and fruit loaves, but the leaves are particularly poisonous.
The leaves are high in oxalic acid, and if eaten in sufficient quantity, (at least 11 POUNDS of leaves so do NOTpanic!), can kill. interestingly enougy, my resident deer LOVE them, but eating them does give them the "runs" and I don't mean they "run off" after dinner.

Tomatoes are Evil
Tomatoes were considered poisonous for many years.
Now we know that the fruit of the tomato plant, even though it is a member of the Deadly Nightly family of fruits, is NOT poisonous. However, the leaves, roots, and stems are mildly toxic to humans. Not deadly, but likely to cause you some gastrointestinal distress.

Last edited:
You might also like to depict the scandalous secrets, lore, legend, and odd facts concerning some of the SIX (6) Poisonous Plants we eat all the time.

Actually, parts of the plants you probably eat and enjoy often, are perfectly edible.
However, other parts of the same plants you consume are DEADLY.

First three covered on Post 9
Here are the next 3:

Asparagus
Like rhubarb, the part of the asparagus plant that we love--the young stems--are perfectly safe to eat.
But beware the gorgeous, bright red, berries. They hide a nasty secret. These berries are toxic to humans. Just a handful can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Cashews
Cashews are another delicious nut that should NEVER be eaten raw. (When you buy them, they are usually already roasted.) Raw cashews are covered with anacardic acid, closely related to the acid that makes poison ivy so irritating. It is much worse when you eat it.

Kidney Beans
Most legumes can cause mild gastrointestinal distress when undercooked, but red kidney beans contain a chemical compound that can cause serious diarrhea and vomiting. Never eat merely soaked beans. Cook them first!!!!

Last edited:
GORGEOUS ATCs, leydab.
LOVE your art.
The look so very "Botanical" [as in accurate, and detailed, and interesting, etc, etc.]
P.S.
LOVE the tail on the Cashew -- that is sooooo really great.

FABULOUS ATCs received from laffqueen.
You are so good at layering!
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

Tomatoes, as a member of the DEADLY NIGHTSHADE family, were originally considered poisonous! Do not eat, do not even touch!!!! They were called "The "Witches' Fruit" and "The Devil's Apple". What a bad reputation to start life with!!

One day tomatoes were "cleared" of being deadly, then were promoted as being edible! What a relief! But a new question arose!

Is the tomato a fruit or a vegetable? This question went all the way to the United States Supreme Court to get a "legal" answer.

Botanically, a tomato, as the fruiting part of the tomato plant, is a fruit. However, tomatoes have legally been vegetables since 1893.​

Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893), is a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States in which the Court unanimously held that tomatoes should be classified as vegetables rather than fruits for purposes of tariffs, imports and customs.

Anyone thinking about creating a card with a tomato, a witch with a tomato, or a devil with a tomato,
or a vampire eating tomatoes (Tomato Blood) on (the Weird Vampire Holiday of) June 17th, Eat Your Vegetables Day?

Back
Top Bottom